LionGate Arms & Armour Resource Area
For discussion of all topics related to European Arms & Armour, and for items needing identification, LionGate now welcomes you to the LionGate Forums, and also strongly endorses the European Armoury Forum at Vikingsword.com.
Articles published on this site:
- Suggested Reading: A Bibliographical Work in Progress
- Essay: Observations Regarding A British Musicians Sword of the American Revolutionary Period
- Article: The 1828/65/68 Pattern Highland Officers Basket Hilted Broadsword
- Essay: An Eye for Detail – Careful Inspection is Important for the Collector of Swords
- Article: The Collecting, Cleaning and Preservation of Edged Weapons, by John Harvey
- Reference: Conservation of Swords and Other Edged Weapons, by Mark McMorrow
Important articles from other sites:
- A Brief History of the Manufacture de Chï¿½tellerault, by Jean Binck - An excellent overview of the history of one of France's foremost arsenals, including descriptions of markings, etc.
- History of Klingenthal Blade Manufacturing, by Jean Binck - Another wonderful article by Binck, similar to the above, but featuring the French Klingenthal manufactory.
- Fraternal and Societal Swords, by Mike McWatters - An appropriate response to the deluge of questions we receive regarding societal swords.
- Information on M C Lilley Co. - A good reference for dating Lilley swords.
- The Fire and the Forge - An interesting exposition of various historical sword patterns – a concerted effort of Antï¿½nio Conceiï¿½ï¿½o Jï¿½nior, representing the Foundation for the Cooperation and Development of Macau, and Adrian Ko of SwordForum International.
- A Particular British 1822 Pattern Light Cavalry Officer's Sword, by Bjorn Hellqvist - An article spawned by the research of a certain cavalry sword in possession of Mr. Hellqvist.
- Swords and Sabres for Spanish Cavalry Troopers - A helpful article on Spanish swords by Juan Perez. A necessary companion to Barcelo Rubi's book on the same subject, not available in English.
- The Sgian Dubh - An article regarding the history of the sgian dubh by Joe D. Huddleston, originally published in Highlander Magazine.
- Fighting with the Sabre – An interesting instructional article about fencing with the sabre.
- A list of German RZM Codes, as provided by Marcus Wendel of the Skalman Nu website.
- An excellent, well-illustrated reference page relating to Moro Weapons, by Federico Malibago.
- Reference: A Useful Compilation of Acronyms Used on Fraternal Swords.
- Some Historical Swiss Swords Examined – A short essay regarding swords at the Swiss National Landesmuseum.
- Markings on Japanese Arisaka Rifles and Bayonets of World War II
- Sword Hilts of the Border Reivers – A Brief Survey of 16th Century 'Basket Hilts' of the Anglo-Scottish Border Marches.
- U.S. Small Arms Inspector's Markings
- A Glossary of Japanese Sword Related Terms